Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Stratas make an excellent breakfast or brunch, and they give you the perfect opportunity to use up leftover vegetables, lean meats and day-old bread.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil or 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 slices uncooked turkey bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked onion, diced
- 2 cups uncooked fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces or 2 cups frozen asparagus, thawed cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 spray cooking spray
- 6 slices reduced-calorie whole wheat bread
- 4 large eggs
- 5 large egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 cup low fat shredded cheddar cheese, about 4 ounces
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring, until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Add onion and asparagus; sauté until vegetables are soft, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove vegetables from pan and set aside.
- Preheat broiler.
- Off heat, coat same skillet with cooking spray. Arrange break slices tightly in bottom of skillet.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk, mustard, salt and pepper; pour over bread and allow milk mixture to soak in entirely (like when you make French toast). Sprinkle bread with 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese.
- Place skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Cook, shaking pan frequently to promote even cooking, until almost cooked through on the top, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Place skillet under broiler to set eggs, about 2 minutes. Remove skillet from broiler; top with bacon-vegetable mixture, cheddar cheese and remaining tablespoon of Parmesan cheese. Place skillet under broiler again until cheese melts, about 1 to 2 minutes. Slice into 6 pieces and serve. Yields 1 piece per serving.
- If you don't have an oven-proof skillet, cover the handle with aluminum foil before broiling.