Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
By Scott Weaver, Executive Chef, Elephants Delicatessen
- 1 lb asparagus
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- kosher salt
- black pepper, Freshly ground
- 1⁄2 cup creme fraiche or 1⁄2 cup mascarpone
- 1⁄4 cup gruyere cheese
- 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon
- Preheat the broiler and position an oven rack 8 inches from the heat.
- Prepare asparagus by holding asparagus spear in your hand and breaking off the bottom where it snaps; this is the tough part of the stem. Discard.
- Melt butter in a large sauté pan. Add minced shallots and cook over moderately high heat until softened, about 1 minute. Add prepared asparagus, season with salt and pepper, and cook briefly over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender.
- Transfer asparagus to a medium gratin dish and arrange with asparagus heads pointing in once direction.
- Combine crème fraiche and grated gruyere cheese. Spread evenly over asparagus. When ready to serve, broil until golden and bubbling, shifting the dish for even browning, about 1-3 minutes. Sprinkle with tarragon and serve.