Recipe by Thellie
This is a wonderful light apetizer. I served it at a luncheon and all asked for the recipe. My son-in-law did the "taste test" for me and wanted any left-overs. (Re the capers listed below: it does take 1 tbsp PLUS 1 tsp, drained and chopped) Recipe from Food Network.
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons chopped red onions
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained and chopped, PLUS
- 1 teaspoon capers, drained and chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 2 bunches prox 40 asparagus spears, cut into 4 inch lengths
- 3 cups ice
- 6 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- To make Dipping Sauce: Mix well the sour cream, mayo, onion, lemon juice, capers, tarragon, onion powder, sugar and pepper together using a whisk.
- Refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.
- Steam asparagus until fork tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Mix Ice Bath together in large bowl. Plunge asparagus into ice water and let sit until cold.
- (I personally skipped the water bath and just let steamed asparagus drain in colander until cooled.) Transfer to paper towel to drain.
- Serve chilled asparagus with dipping sauce.
- Note Do Ahead tips: The dipping sauce can be prepared up to 2 days in advance and regrigerated. The asparagus can be prepared 1 day in advance and refrigerated.