1/1 Photo of Asparagus Appetizer - Spear Ecstasy
This is a wonderful light apetizer. I served it at a luncheon and all asked for the recipe. My son-in-law did the "taste test" for me and wanted any left-overs. (Re the capers listed below: it does take 1 tbsp PLUS 1 tsp, drained and chopped) Recipe from Food Network.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons chopped red onions
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained and chopped, PLUS
- 1 teaspoon capers, drained and chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 2 bunches prox 40 asparagus spears, cut into 4 inch lengths
- 1To make Dipping Sauce: Mix well the sour cream, mayo, onion, lemon juice, capers, tarragon, onion powder, sugar and pepper together using a whisk.
- 2Refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.
- 3Steam asparagus until fork tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- 4Mix Ice Bath together in large bowl. Plunge asparagus into ice water and let sit until cold.
- 5(I personally skipped the water bath and just let steamed asparagus drain in colander until cooled.) Transfer to paper towel to drain.
- 7Serve chilled asparagus with dipping sauce.
- 8Note Do Ahead tips: The dipping sauce can be prepared up to 2 days in advance and regrigerated. The asparagus can be prepared 1 day in advance and refrigerated.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asparagus Appetizer - Spear Ecstasy
Serving Size: 1 (239 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 64.5
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 9.1 mg
- Sodium 351.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 0.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: