Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Quick, delicious homemade soup. Discovered this recipe in the Good Start magazine, when I was pregnant. Excellent source of calcium, nutrients and energy. We just love it!
- 118.29 ml long grain and wild rice blend, uncooked
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 453.59 g asparagus, cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch slices (or bunch)
- 946.36 ml chicken broth or 946.36 ml vegetable broth
- 2.46 ml salt
- 0.25 ml black pepper
- 340.19 g can 2% evaporated milk
- 29.58 ml cornstarch
- 78.07 ml chopped parsley (optional)
- Prepare rice according to package directions, set aside.
- Heat oil in large saucepan on medium-high.
- Add onion, garlic and asparagus, cook 3-5 minutes and stir occassionly.
- Add rice, broth, salt and pepper; bring to boil.
- Mix evaporated milk with constarch in small bowl until smooth.
- Add to saucepan.
- Cook 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until thickened.
- Stir in parsley.
- For vegetarians use the vegetable stock.
Added a 6oz box Uncle Ben's Long Grain & Wild Rice with the seasoning (wasn't sure if recipe called for seasoning packet or not). I also added garlic and sliced baby bella mushrooms as others had suggested.Will make this again.
For a creamy soup, after step 7, I poured it into my Vitamix Blender and pureed. It was AMAZING! Definitely a keeper. Great recipe. Thank you!