Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I "invented" this one weekend from ingredients I had on hand in my pantry. Makes a satisfying, creamy side dish or light main dish. This will serve 3-4 as a main dish, and 4-5 as a side dish.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb fresh asparagus, washed and cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1 (7 ounce) can albacore tuna in water, drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt, to taste
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) can refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Melt 2 TBS of the butter in a 10" or 12" skillet over medium heat.
- When butter stops foaming, add chopped onion and cook until it starts to soften.
- Add prepared asparagus and 1 TBS of the chicken broth.
- Cover and steam 5 minutes or until asparagus is tender-crisp and liquid has evaporated.
- Add the remaining 1 TBS of butter.
- When melted, add 2 TBS flour and cook while stirring for 1 minute.
- Slowly add chicken broth a few TBS at a time, stirring constantly to blend in flour and make a smooth sauce.
- Add remaining ingredients (EXCEPT for biscuits) and cook until cream cheese is melted and sauce is smooth.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Place tuna and vegetable mixture in a lightly oiled 3 quart casserole.
- Put in preheated oven and cook 10 minutes or until bubbling.
- Remove from oven and top with refrigerator biscuits.
- Return to oven and bake for 10 additional minutes or until biscuits are golden brown.
- Allow to cool 5 - 10 minutes before serving.