Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
In 'Spring Gatherings' by Rick Rodgers
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup chopped shallot
- 2 lbs asparagus, woody stems removed, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 8 ounces fresh spinach, well rinsed, stemmed, and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 4 cups canned low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup mascarpone, at room temperature
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the asparagus, spinach, and rice and stir well.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Decrease the heat to med-low and cover.
- Simmer until the asparagus and rice are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice.
- In batches, puree in a blender, making sure that the lid is ajar.
- Transfer to a soup tureen and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and top each serving with a dollop of mascarpone; serve hot.