Recipe by Charlotte J
Asparagus with an oriental taste. You can microwave the asparagus or cook it on your stove top. You may find the chili puree in the Oriental section at your grocery store.
Top Review by JustJanS
This went really well with our Asian style dinner tonight. I halved it to serve 3 but left the sauce amount the same. If I was making it for 6 I'd double the sauce I think. Thanks for a quick, crunchy, tasty side dish. Oh, and I used vegetable oil rather than butter as I felt it went more with tonights other dishes.
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 lb fresh asparagus spear, cut into 2 inch pieces (24 spears)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, cut in 1/4 inch slices (1/2 cup)
- 1 large red pepper, cut into 2 by 1/2 inch pieces (1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh gingerroot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon chili-garlic sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Place water and asparagus in 2-quart casserole.
- Cover; microwave on HIGH until asparagus is bright green (3 minutes).
- Drain; set aside.
- Add butter into a skillet and saute onion over medium high heat.
- Add asparagus; continue cooking, stirring constantly, until crisply tender (1 to 2 minutes).
- Stir in red pepper, garlic and gingerroot.
- Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until red pepper is crisply tender (1 to 2 minutes).
- Remove skillet from heat.
- Stir together all sauce ingredients in small bowl.
- Add to vegetables; toss to coat.