Recipe by oloschiavo
This simple recipe takes about 15 minutes to cook. It has quite a delicate flavour. Substitute evaporated milk for the cream for a lighter dish. Top quality fresh shaved parmesan is KEY to the success of this recipe. From an Australian Woolies mag.
- 500 g gnocchi
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed and chopped into three lengthways
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely sliced
- 200 ml cream
- salt and pepper
- shaved fresh parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small frypan, heat the oil. Add the onion and cook until brown. The idea here is to caramelise it and then crisp it up a bit, so don't turn the heat up too high right at the start. When suitable browned, remove the onion from the pan and cover it to keep it warm.
- Add cream to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes or so until it reduces a bit.
- Meanwhile, cook the gnocchi for a few minutes in a pot of salted boiling water.
- About two minutes before the gnocchi is done add the asparagus and peas to the boiling water.
- Drain the gnocchi and greens in a colander and return to the pot. Stir in the onion and cream and cook until just heated through.
- Serve topped with shavings of parmesan.