Recipe by Mommy Diva
From April 2007 Everyday with Rachael Ray--looks delightful. I love asparagus so this caught my eye.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
I didn't realise that asparagus was no longer plentiful and very expensive, so I chose to make this with broccoli instead, lightly steaming it and adding to the risotto as I would have, the asparagus. I had basil pesto in the fridge, and added a little lemon zest for that slight tang, which complemented the broccoli wonderfully. Easily prepared and flavoursome, thank you for a lovely recipe, much enjoyed! Made for Mommy Diva, Fight Like A Girl!!!
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallots or 1⁄2 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cups arborio rice
- salt and pepper
- 32 ounces vegetable broth or 32 ounces chicken broth
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley, loosely packed
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated (plus more for serving)
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts or 1⁄4 cup walnuts
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces (thin preferred)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- In a heavy oven-proof pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the shallot and cook until translucent and softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and rice; season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring, until the rice is toasted, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the broth and 1 1/4 cups water. Transfer immediately to the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using a food processor, finely chop the parsley, 1/2 cup Parmesan, the pine nuts and the lemon peel.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and process until blended; Set the pesto aside.
- Remove the risotto from the oven and stir in the asparagus and the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan.
- Continue to bake until the rice is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the reserved pesto and serve with extra Parmesan.
- Enjoy! ;).