Recipe by yooper
Wow your guests at your next dinner party with this sophisticated side dish! Very creamy texture, and the asparagus and cheeses blend together for an amazing taste!
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb, made from crustless italian bread
- 2 lbs asparagus, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter eight 3/4-cup custard cups or soufle dishes.
- Coat with breadcrumbs.
- Cut off asparagus tips.
- Cook tips in large saucepan of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
- Drain, reserve tips and 1 cup cooking liquid.
- Coarsley chop asparagus stalks.
- Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion; saute until tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add stalks; saute until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add reserved asparagus cooking liquid.
- cover, simmer until stalks are tender, about 12 minutes.
- Uncover, cook until liquid is absorbed, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to food processor, puree.
- Add Parmesan, ricotta, and flour.
- Using on/off turns, process just until blended.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk eggs in bowl to blend.
- Add asparagus puree, whisk to blend.
- Stir in all but 16 asparagus tips.
- Divide custard among cups.
- Place cups in roasting pan.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Pour hot water into pan to come 1 inch up sides of cups.
- Bake puddings until set, about 35 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Invert onto plates.
- Granish with reserved asparagus tips.