Prep 15 mins
Cook 16 mins
This recipe was a side dish winner in the Real Women of Philadelphia 2010. After trying it, I know why. It is delicious.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F; remove pastry dough from freezer and let thaw for 10 minutes.
- While dough is thawing, wash and trim asparagus so it is 1 1/2 inches shorter than width of pastry sheet.
- In medium bowl, combine cream cheese, grated Parmesan, chopped basil leaves and lemon juice; set aside.
- Unfold dough onto a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray; cut into 4 equal rectangles.
- Separate slightly; spread cream cheese mixture onto each of the pastry rectangles, alternating directions, not quite to each edge.
- Press four asparagus spears onto each rectangle, alternating direction.
- Sprinkle pastries with sea salt and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes until pastries are golden brown.
- Remove from oven, cut each pastry in half and transfer to serving platter.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of shave parmesan cheese and serve.
Ok, this was surprisingly yummy! But the recipe doesn't actually say what to do with the asparagus. I think there's a step missing. I diced it up in 1 inch pieces and mixed it in with the cream cheese mixture. Even my little girl liked it!
I really wanted to like this, and I had thought it would be something the whole family would enjoy..but we just didn't. I think maybe if there was less cream cheese mixture it could be better. I think it has potential, but we won't be trying it again. Sorry Lainey.
**Just wanted to add, I just came home from work and decided to try a piece of one of the leftovers, cold. It was much better cold, so maybe it would be nice made into little tartlets for a picnic or something.