Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is such a fresh Spring or Summer salad! I parboil the asparagus slightly first though and sometimes use butterleaf lettuce instead of the watercress. This is from Gourmet magazine.
- 1 lb medium to thick asparagus, trimmed
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, stems trimmed even with caps
- 4 medium radishes, halved lengthwise and sliced thin crosswise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bunch watercress, coarse stems discarded
- 1⁄4 lb piece parmesan cheese, room temperature
- With a sharp knife, cut asparagus diagonally into very thin slices and transfer to a large bowl. Halve large mushrooms. Slice mushrooms very thin and add with radishes to asparagus. Toss salad gently.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, mustard and salt. Add oil in a stream, whisking, and whisk until emulsified. Drizzle dressing over asparagus salad and toss gently. Grind pepper over salad.
- Spread watercress on a platter and top with asparagus salad. With a vegetable peeler, shave 1/2 to 3/4 of Parmesan into curls over salad, reserving remaining Parmesan for another use.