Fabulous with fresh asparagus in the spring.
Make and share this Asparagus and Mushroom Risotto recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup oil (canola and vegetable Mazola oil blend)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 6 cups chicken broth
- fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 3 cm pieces
- 250 g small portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook for 3 to 4 minutes until softened.
- Increase heat to high, add white wine and cook until almost dry; about 3 to 4 minutes. Add rice and stir until completely coated with oil and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of chicken broth, stirring constantly until most of the liquid is absorbed by the rice.
- Gradually stir in remaining broth 1 cup at a time; cooking and stirring until liquid is absorbed before adding the next cup.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add asparagus and sauté for 1 minute then stir in mushrooms. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until mushrooms just begin to sweat.
- Remove from heat and set aside until risotto is nearly finished cooking.
- Risotto is ready after the last cup of broth has been stirred in and rice has thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in asparagus, mushrooms and parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper; top with additional shaved parmesan, if desired, and serve immediately.