- 1 lb asparagus
- 2 -3 medium leeks
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- white pepper
- 1 grating fresh nutmeg
- chopped chives (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim the tough ends from the asparagus and the tough green parts of the leeks and reserve the trimmings.
- Chop the trimmings coarsely and combine them with the onion and stock in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove from the heat, strain the broth, and discard the trimmings.
- Meanwhile, slice the leeks thinly and cut the asparagus into 1-inch pieces.
- Wash thoroughly.
- Heat the butter in a skillet over moderate heat and sauté the leeks for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the asparagus and sauté 2 more minutes.
- Transfer the asparagus and leeks to the stock and season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove 1 cup of the vegetables with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Puree the remaining soup in batches in an electric blender or food processor. Return to skillet.
- Add the reserved vegetables and bring to a simmer.
- Serve garnished with chopped chives.