Recipe by foodtvfan
From Foodland Ontario booklet. A savory flatbread loaded with asparagus, ham, onion and Parmesan cheese and easy to make using biscuit mix. Great for a casual brunch. Serve with a lightly dressed green salad or sliced tomatoes and cucumbers. I used cheddar cheese,adjusted the seasonings to taste, and Homemade Bisquick Mix #69051 for the biscuit mix.
Top Review by JGB18
Overall, good recipe. Very easy to prepare, and I had it on the table less than an hour from a dead start. The family gave it an average rating of a "4" (really liked it but didn't love it). The main sticking point with the kids seemed to be the asparagus, of which they are not fond. I, however, thought it was a good mix of the tastes and food groups.
- 3 cups biscuit mix
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 lbs asparagus (1 kg)
- 1 cup black forest ham, diced (4 oz,125g)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine biscuit mix, tarragon, mustard and pepper.
- In another bowl, beat eggs with milk; pour over dry mixture and stir until smooth.
- Spread half in greased 13x9x2 inch cake pan.
- Mixture will be thin.
- Break tough ends from asparagus. Arrange half in single layer on batter.
- Sprinkle with ham, onion, and half of the cheese.
- Spread remaining batter over top.
- Arrange remaining asparagus over the batter.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake in 375 degree Fahrenheit oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown, and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes before serving warm or at room temperature.