Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Sounds yummy and wanted to put it here as I am tossing the book it comes in.
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, drained or 340 g asparagus, cuts and tips drained
- 8 slices bread
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese
- 3 green shallots, sliced
- 5 eggs
- 300 g creamed corn
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon mild prepared mustard
- 15 g butter, melted
- extra chopped shallot, to serve
- Steam or microwave fresh asparagus until just tender; cut cooked or canned asparagus into 3 cm lengths.
- Trim crusts from bread, cut bread into 3-4cm squares.
- Place bread squares over base and sides of a 8 cup (2-litre) greased ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle bread with half the cheese.
- Top with asparagus and shallots.
- Beat eggs in bowl; beat in corn, milk and mustard.
- Pour mixture over shallots; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Brush exposed bread edges with melted butter.
- Bake at 180c for about 50mins, or until just set in centre.
- Stand 5-10mins before cutting into squares.
- Serve warm, sprinkled with extra shallots.
At first I was hesitant about putting too much shallots afraid that it might taste more like raw onions. But I still followed the recipe as is and was glad that I did since the mixture was just fantastic and the cooked onions were good. It tastes like corn quiche, and the outcome looks perfect! Thanks for a wonderful recipe, Sonya!
I made this exactly as per recipe, although I was not sure whether it was shallots (or spring onions) so I used shallots. Great recipe sort of like a creamed corn quiche. It took no time at all to put together, the time was in the baking, but it was well worth the wait! It browned up beautifuly and was just right for serving, great recipe Sonya. Thanks for another great to make again!