Recipe by Sonya01
Sounds yummy and wanted to put it here as I am tossing the book it comes in.
Top Review by Pneuma
At first I was hesitant about putting too much shallots afraid that it might taste more like raw onions. But I still followed the recipe as is and was glad that I did since the mixture was just fantastic and the cooked onions were good. It tastes like corn quiche, and the outcome looks perfect! Thanks for a wonderful recipe, Sonya!
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, drained or 340 g asparagus, cuts and tips drained
- 8 slices bread
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese
- 3 green shallots, sliced
- 5 eggs
- 300 g creamed corn
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon mild prepared mustard
- 15 g butter, melted
- extra chopped shallot, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Steam or microwave fresh asparagus until just tender; cut cooked or canned asparagus into 3 cm lengths.
- Trim crusts from bread, cut bread into 3-4cm squares.
- Place bread squares over base and sides of a 8 cup (2-litre) greased ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle bread with half the cheese.
- Top with asparagus and shallots.
- Beat eggs in bowl; beat in corn, milk and mustard.
- Pour mixture over shallots; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Brush exposed bread edges with melted butter.
- Bake at 180c for about 50mins, or until just set in centre.
- Stand 5-10mins before cutting into squares.
- Serve warm, sprinkled with extra shallots.