Recipe by E.A.
This is great on biscuts or w/ rice. I made it with the leftover Thanksgiving turkey and it was great too!
- 1 (4 lb) stewing chicken
- 6 cups water
- 2 lbs fresh asparagus
- 1⁄4 lb unsalted butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3⁄4 lb fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup roasted slivered almonds
- 1 1⁄2 cups parmesan cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups romano cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken in stockpot, add water, bring to boil over high heat, and skim off any scum.
- Reduce the heat and simmer chicken until very tender, about 2-3 hours.
- Let chicken cool and remove skin and bones.
- Cut the meat into bite sized pieces and reserve.
- snap off and discard the tough ends of the asparagus, cut the tender spears into 1 inch lengths.
- Steam the asparagus until tender.
- Drain and rinse in cold water to halt cooking and preserve color.
- Melt 1/4 pound butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in the flour, and cook, stiring, until bubbly, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the stock to the flour mixture, using a wire wisk to combine.
- Stir in the light cream and simmer until smooth and thickend, about 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, wine, chicken and some salt and pepper to taste and remove from heat.
- preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet and cook almonds until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes.
- Combine the asparagus and the chicken mixture in a shallow 9x13 ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle with the cheese and then with the almonds.
- Bake until bubbly and cheese is melted.
- About 30 minutes.