Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A wonderful and easy side dish. You can substitute frozen, defrosted asparagus.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 2 cups crushed saltine crackers
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of asparagus soup, undiluted
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- hot sauce
- 1⁄2 lb American cheese, cut into cubes
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 egg
- Combine all ingredients and stir well.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 3 to 3-1/2 hours.
I liked that this used fresh asparagus and not that slimy canned stuff. I did read the previous reviews so I cut my asparagus into about 2" pieces. I also only used 1 cup of crushed crackers, so it wouldn't be so dry. I added some crushed garlic to give it some extra flavor. All in all, it turned out very good. Don't skip those slivered almonds! Thanx!
I wasn't crazy about this, although my dad absolutely loved it. I cut up the asparagus into 1-inch pieces as the other commenter recommended, and while I loved the nice soft asparagus, the bread sauce around it was a little too mushy for my liking. I like the idea, and will play around with this in the future!
I made this yesterday and it wasn't bad. When I make this again, I will cut back on the cracker crumbs. Instead of having a thick asparagus flavored sauce, I had cracker flavored asparagus. I actually had to add water to it because it was TOO thick. Next time, I will probably have to cut up the asparagus into 1 inch pieces so they fit better in the crock. Also, I had to cook it in low instead of high, but that is probably a difference in crockpots. I think this is a great base recipe that I just need to tweak to suit my personal tastes. Thanks!