Recipe by bluemoon downunder
An asparagus and almond soup, made with only three main ingredients, which can be served chilled in the summer. Recipes really don't come much simpler than this, and with such recipes it is even more essential than usual to use only the freshest and best quality ingredients you can find. I have adapted this recipe from one I found on an English website, and I am posting it for the 2005 Zaar World Tour. For the stock, I'd recommend either JKC’s Root Vegetable Stock (For Mushroom Stroganoff With Spinach). or my Vegetable Stock.
- 450 g asparagus spears
- 1 1⁄4 liters vegetable stock, top quality
- 125 g ground almonds
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the asparagus spears until they are tender, and reserve some of the tips; blend half of the stock and the asparagus together, then combine the puree with the remaining stock, ground almonds and salt and pepper in a large saucepan and bring it to the boil and simmer for 1 minute.
- Serve either warm or chilled, garnished with the reserved asparagus tips.
- This soup can also be frozen.
- Chef's Note: If you have spare spears or left over asparagus, use them to make my Asparagus Sauce, which can be served with pasta, salmon, or chicken. It too is great hot or cold and can be frozen.