Asparagus and Acorn Squash Rings
- Trim thick asparagus ends; cut squash in half crosswise. Scoop out and discard squash seeds; slice squash into 1/4-inch rings.
- In large pan on top of stove, carefully cook squash rings, then asparagus in boiling, salted water until tender, but not overcooked. Drain each vegetable as soon as it's tender.
- Heat butter in medium skillet. Add sugar and walnuts. Stir over medium heat until sugar is light brown.
- Deglaze pan with lemon juice, vingar and cider. Cook, stirring constantly, to reduce by half.
- To serve, layer 3 acorn squash rings on each of 4 plates; put 4 asparagus spears thru acorn squash. Spoon sauce over.
- NOTE: To make clarified butter, slowly melt stick of butter over very low heat. Let solids settle to bottom; use oil (clarified butter) from top and discard solids.