Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this published in an issue of Guideposts & thought it would be a great holiday side dish. The author uses Sunkist Almond Accents Sliced Almonds to add to the flavor and noted the original recipe called for saltines, but her mother substituted Wheatsworth crackers. I think I will go with Ritz or club crackers. Do your own thing and enjoy.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup asparagus liquid
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 (15 ounce) cans asparagus
- 5 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup blanched almond
- 3⁄4 cup cracker crumb
- Melt butter in skillet.
- Add flour and blend.
- Add milk and asparagus liquid.
- Cook over low heat until thick.
- Add mayonnaise and mix well until sauce is formed.
- In bottom of 2-quart baking dish arrange a layer of asparagus, eggs, and almonds.
- Cover with half of the sauce.
- Top casserole with cracker crumbs.
- Bake at 300 to 350 F for 30 minutes.