Found online; posting for ZWT 7-Italy. *Updated 10/10/13-Finally made this and really enjoyed! I had very skinny asparagus so I should have decreased the cooking time. I used butter and drizzled a little olive oil on top too. I recommend using thicker asparagus or decrease cooking time.*
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Butter a shallow gratin or baking dish that is just large enough to hold the asparagus.
- Place a layer of asparagus in the dish, with the tips all facing the same direction. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and some of the cheese Keep adding layers until all asparagus and all cheese is used, finishing with the cheese.
- Dot the top of the dish with the pieces of butter and place the dish on the top rack of the oven.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until the asparagus is cooked through and beginning to brown and the cheese is melted.
- Instead of the butter use olive oil or half butter and half olive oil.
- Use half Parmesan and half shredded fontina cheese for a creamier gratin.
- Layer a couple of slices of prosciutto in with the asparagus if you like.
- Sprinkle with a little lemon zest for added zing.