Prep 1 hr 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
The cowherd brought this recipe back from his vacation in Mongolia.
- 1 lb flank steak
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon sake or 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 lbs asparagus or 1 1⁄2 lbs green beans, 2 inches long
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 slice fresh ginger, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Thinly slice the steak and cut into 2-inch wide strips.
- Marinate the steak in a mixture of the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice wine, cornstarch, and sugar for about 1 hour.
- Blanch the asparagus or green beans until they are just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil and stir fry the asparagus or green beans for 2 minutes.
- Remove them from the pan and add 2 tablespoons more oil.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and pepper seeds and stir fry for a minute or so.
- Add the meat and cook for 3 minutes or until it is cooked on the outside and pink inside, or cooked to desired doneness.