Asopao - Soupy Rice With Chicken (Puerto Rico)
- Cook chicken with water, onion, whole garlic and salt until chicken is tender.
- Bone chicken; strain. Save broth.
- Fry salt pork, ham, bell pepper, crushed garlic, tomato sauce, capers, olives, oregano, vinegar and pepper in Dutch oven. Stir to make a sauce for 5 minutes. Add rice, chicken and 6 cups of saved broth.
- Let cook until rice is done over low heat.
- Before serving, stir in peas.
- Serve garnished with asparagus and pimentos, sprinkled with cheese.