1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Asopao is a chicken and rice stew that is related to the famous Spanish dish called paella. The word asopao means "soupy "in Spanish. From "Cooking the Caribbean Way".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 2 lbs chicken (4 to 5 pieces)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons lard or 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 medium green pepper, cored and chopped
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 ounce ham, diced (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen green peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup stuffed green olive
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1In a small bowl, mash garlic with the back of a spoon.
- 2Rub garlic into chicken.
- 3In a wide, shallow bowl combine flour, salt, black pepper, and oregano.
- 4Roll chicken pieces in flour mixture.
- 5In a large kettle, melt lard over medium high heat.
- 6Add chicken and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until brown.
- 7Remove from kettle and set aside.
- 8Add green pepper and onions to kettle and saute until onions are transparent.
- 9Stir in ham and tomatoes.
- 10Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- 11Return chicken to kettle and stir well.
- 12Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 30 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- 13Remove chicken from tomato mixture.
- 14When cool, remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces.
- 15Add chicken broth and rice to tomato mixture and stir well.
- 16Bring to a boil over high heat.
- 17Reduce heat to low and cover, placing a paper towel between the kettle and the lid.
- 18Simmer for 20 minutes.
- 19Add peas, olives, parmesan cheese, and chicken and stir well.
- 20Cover and cook for 5 more minutes.
Nutritional Facts for Asopao - Puerto Rico
Serving Size: 1 (484 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 937.7
- Calories from Fat 404
- Total Fat 44.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.0 g
- Cholesterol 185.3 mg
- Sodium 1362.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.5 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 61.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
stuffed green olives