Recipe by Leah's Kitchen
I found this recipe in my Betty Crocker's International cookbook and thought it sounded pretty good. It is a chicken dish with rice, filled with spices, stewed tomatoes, capers, olives, ham, garlic, peas and more. I can't wait to try it myself. It could be a one dish meal or you could serve it with a salad. Hope you enjoy!
Top Review by Michelle Berteig
Tasty dish, liked the different combinations of ingredients. I used a package of 6 chicken thighs. To our personal preference, we thought this dish needed more salt. Made for the Dining Daredevils for ZWT5 Family Picks.
- 2 -3 lbs broiler-fryer chickens, cut up
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, blended
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 cups uncooked rice (preferably Jasmine or Basmati)
- 10 ounces frozen green peas (1 package)
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fully cooked smoked ham, cubed
- 1⁄3 cup pitted small green olives
- 1 tablespoon capers
- grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Sear chicken pieces and diced onion in a deep 12" skillet or dutch oven. (You may have to use two pans if it doesn't fit in one; dividing the spices, broth, tomatoes etc between the two pans.).
- Add broth, salt, oregano, coriander,blended tomatoes, onion, and garlic.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Cook rice according to directions on bag, except add chicken broth where it calls for water.
- While the rice is cooking add peas, green pepper, ham, olives, capers and 1 tablespoon of the caper liquid to chicken dish.
- Cover and simmer the chicken dish until the rice is done.
- Serve the chicken on top of the rice, pour the sauce over and sprinkle with parmesan.