Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
from "the noshery" - http://thenoshery.com/2010/11/19/asopao-de-camarones/
- 1 cup short grain rice
- 6 tablespoons spices (sofrito, recipe at http ( or or thenoshery.com/2009/07/29/sofito-and-an-impromtu-chemical-peel or )
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons capers
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 8 pimento-stuffed olives
- 4 cups clam juice
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Pour 1 cup of rice into a bowl and cover with 2 inches of water. Set it aside to soak for 1 hour.
- In a large pot heat 1 tbs of olive oil, add 6 cubes (or Tbs) of sofrito, cook for about 4 minutes. Add 1 cup of diced tomato, 1/2 cup of tomato sauce, 1 tsp of capers and 8 pimento stuffed olives, stir till well combined and bring to a simmer. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add 4 cups of clam juice. Bring the stock to a boil and add shrimp.
- Drain the rice, add to the pot and stir. Set to a medium heat, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Cook until the rice is tender and it has a gumbo like consistency. If you want it thicker, lower the heat, cover and cook to desired consistency. If you want it thinner, add water 1/4 cup at a time.