Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Adapted a shepherd's pie recipe so that it has a bit of a Asian taste to it. Something to try if you want something a little different.
- 300 g chicken thighs, deboned and cubed
- 1 big onion, sliced thinly
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 250 g cauliflower, cut into pieces or chopped
- 250 g carrots, sliced
- 200 g button mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 3 tomatoes, chopped and pureed
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 kg potato, parboiled and peeled
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 50 g butter
- 1 soft hard-boiled egg
- To make the topping: Mash the potatoes and mix in sour cream, soft boiled egg and butter.
- Combine well.
- Put mixture into a piping bag fitted with a star-shaped nozzle.
- To make the filling: Heat about 2 tbsp oil in a wok and stir-fry (A) till onions turn limp and soft.
- Add chicken meat and stir-fry well.
- Add curry powder and mix well to blend.
- Stir in (B), mix in pureed tomatoes and allow to simmer till vegetables are tender and the gravy is thick.
- Add seasoning.
- Dish out and leave aside to cool.
- To make the pie: Spoon the cooled filling into an oven-proof 2.5 litre pie dish.
- Pipe out the potato topping over the filling and bake the pie in an oven preheated at 200 to 210 ºC for about 25 to 30 minutes or until pie turns golden brown.