This is one of my newly adopted recipes. I have not yet tried it, but have created concoctions similar to this on my own many times. This is an add/delete, feel-free-to-improvise kind of recipe. When I've made things like this in the past, I treated it as a "clean out the fridge" experiment. I would think that shrimp, scallops or other fish or even chicken would work well in this (I've used shrimp and scallops in my own versions of this kind of recipe).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 onions, thinly sliced or 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, Minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 stalks bok choy (diagonally sliced, also shred leaves)
- 1 sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 cup mushroom, Sliced
- 1/2 cup peas
- 2 ounces buckwheat noodles (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 lb firm tofu, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup watercress leaf
- 1Place 1/2 cup of the vegetable stock in a Dutch oven or 3 1/2 - 5 qt saucepan and bring to a boil.
- 2Add onion, garlic, and gignger; simmer for 3 minutes.
- 3Stir in remaining stock and soy sauce.
- 4Cover pot and bring to a gentle boil.
- 5Add remaining ingredients.
- 6Test for doneness: noodles should be softened; vegetables should remain crisp/tender.
- 7Timing - about 8 minutes.
- 8Top each serving with one of the garnishes.
- 9VARIATIONS: - substitute 1 c cooked brown rice for the buckwheat noodles peppers, chopped water chestnut, chopped jicama root, shredded spinach, chopped celery, or bamboo shoots.
- 10EGG THREADS:.
- 11In a small skillet, heat a little margarine.
- 12When it begins to bubble, add 1 egg beaten with a little cold water.
- 13Tilt the pan so the yolk mixture coats it in a thin layer, the thinner the better.
- 14When the egg is lightly cooked, turn it out onto a cutting board.
- 15Slice it into very thin strips with a sharp knife. (makes about 1/3 cup).
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asian Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (138 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 67.2
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 274.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 5.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: