1 hr 10 mins
Hoisin sauce gives these burgers a juicy texture, while ginger and garlic provide a burst of flavor and water chestnuts deliver an appealing crunch. Serve them over toasted whole-wheat buns with a side of tender greens. We used this tangy mayonnaise to enliven the burger even more or for a chicken sandwich or a dip for a platter of wonderful roasted vegetables or perhaps use it as a dressing for sliced napa cabbage with scallions.:) I had some Apricot Mustard left over from another dish and the combination was great - I served it on the side. EatingWell newsletter, Summer/03. Nutrition Profile: Low Cal - Low Carb - Low Sodium - Low Cholesterol - Low Sat Fat - Heart Healthy - Diabetes Appropriate - Healthy Weight.:)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread, crusts removed, torn into pieces
- 12 ounces lean ground turkey breast (the dark meat has a higher fat content)
- 8 ounces sliced water chestnuts, rinsed and chopped (1 can)
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 scallions, trimmed and sliced on a bias
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 4 toasted whole grain buns
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt or 2 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallion, on the bias
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- 1Preheat grill to medium-high.
- 2Place bread in a food processor and pulse into fine crumbs.
- 3Transfer to a large bowl.
- 4Add ground turkey, water chestnuts, hoisin, scallions, ginger, garlic and salt; mix well. (The mixture will be moist.)
- 5With dampened hands, form the mixture into four 1/2-inch-thick patties, make them thinner at the center, to prevent them from steaming as they cook. (*To MAKE AHEAD: wrap patties individually and refrigerate for up to 8 hours or OAMC: freeze up to three months. Thaw in the refrigerator before cooking.).
- 6Oil the grill rack (**Oil a folded paper towel - hold it with the thongs & pull it toward you over the rack. DO NOT use cooking spray over a hot fire.)
- 7Brush the patties with sesame oil.
- 8Grill until browned and no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes per side. (An instant-read thermometer inserted in the center should register 165°F.).
- 9SESAME MAYONNAISE:
- 10Combine all ingredients (with the exception of the scallions) and whisk until well blended; then fold in the scallions.
- 11Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds, optional.
- 12APRICOT MUSTARD - OPTIONAL - DIPPING SAUCE:.
- 13Combine all ingredients with the exception of the crushed red pepper flakes, in a saucepan.
- 14Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often.
- 15Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- 16Add crushed red pepper flakes, if using.
- 17Let cool to room emperature before serving.
- 18(***Can be made up to 2 weeks before.).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asian Turkey Burgers With Sesame Mayo
Serving Size: 1 (295 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 440.0
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 57.0 mg
- Sodium 537.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 40.3 g
- Protein 24.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole grain buns
coarse grain mustard