Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe has been slightly tweaked from one by Katsuyo Kobayashi, Japan's favourite TV cooking show host and an Iron Chef winner. It is so easy to make, but to ensure plenty of flavour, use the best quality tomatoes you can get. If possible, make it ahead and refrigerate for at least an hour to let the flavours blend. This doesn't seem to keep well, so eat it the day you make it.
- 3 -4 ripe tomatoes
- 1⁄4 medium white onion
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 -3 teaspoon honey (optional, I use 1 or none)
- 1 pinch salt, be generous
- You can skip this step if you have very thin skinned tomatoes. Insert a fork into the caps of the tomatoes and plunge tomatoes in boiling water for 5-6 seconds, then immediately run cold water over them, and remove the skin.
- Core the tomatoes and slice them into thin wedges.
- Chop the onion finely.
- Make the dressing by combining the vinegar and honey.
- Arrange tomatoes on a plate, sprinkle with chopped onion, sprinkle with salt and drizzle over dressing.
Quick and delicious! I went with one teaspoon of honey and I thought that balanced out the flavours nicely.
What could be better than tomatoes and onions and easy, also. We really liked the addition of honey, it took the bite of the vinegar away and left a nice flavor. Can't wait to try these in the summer when we have nice fresh tomatoes.
If you like tomatoes, you will love this recipe. The rice vinegar and honey dressing makes the tomatoes soooooooooo yummy. I will be using this recipe often in the summer. These tomatoes make the perfect side to cookout meals. Made for April 2013 Aus/NZ Swap.