Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This soup is typically served after dinner at Chinese restaurants. My mommy recently taught me how to make this.. I love it! If you like taro, this is for you! It's so creamy and just melts in your mouth.
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup tapioca or 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup sago
- 2 cups mashed taro root (frozen or fresh)
- 1 (8 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar or 1⁄2 cup condensed milk or 1⁄2 cup rock sugar
- Remove skin from taro and cut into chunks (if using frozen taro, proceed to next step).
- Add taro to boiling water and cook until tender about 20 minutes for fresh and 5-7 minutes for frozen.
- Drain and mash until smooth or leave some chunky.
- In separate pot, add tapioca to boiling water. Boil for 5-6 minutes, turn off heat and cover for 10-15 minutes.
- Check tapioca after 10 minutes. Tapioca is done when it is translucent.
- Drain excess water.
- On low heat, add coconut milk to pot with taro.
- Stir mixture until taro had blended with milk and add tapioca.
- To sweeten, add sweetener of choice.