Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A friend from New Zealand served this to me about 20 years ago. Over the past 10 years I have self-published 8 cookbooks on various subjects and this is absolutely the most-commented on, highest praised recipe of all - for its awesome taste and simplicity. Be sure to use ONLY the Marukan brand Seasoned (orange label) rice vinegar or it just won't taste the same. For a good diet dressing substitute half the oil for water and toss with a green salad.
- 3⁄4 cup marukan seasoned gourmet rice vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup sunflower oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, halved
- 8 drops Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 head romaine lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 avocado, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large handful fresh shrimp
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- fresh ground black pepper
- Combine ingredients in a jar; shake and chill 4-24 hours before serving. Remove garlic clove after 2 days.
- Place lettuce in a large bowl; toss with just enough dressing to coat. Divide between 4 plates. Top with avocado, shrimp and Parmesan cheese and pepper to taste.
Deliciously simple. The dressing is absolutely wonderful and contains no added sugar! I'm glad that it makes a large amount, so I can save it for my go-to dressing whenever I want a simple salad. The avocado, shrimp and parmesan cheese ingredients are such a lovely flavor combination. This gets 5 stars, easily. ~Made for the Spring 2010 Pick-A-Chef~
Excellent! I can see why this recipe is such a big hit! The dressing was wonderful and really made the recipe pop! We personally found there to be a lot of dressing for the salad (although I had already cut back to 1/2 c each on the vinegar and oil), so I'm excited to try out the leftover dressing as a marinade too. Thanks for sharing! ~PAC Spring '10~