Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Love the taste and texture of short ribs so I'm always on the lookout!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 -4 lbs short rib of beef
- ground pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 -6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, cut into thick slices
- 5 star anise
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over high heat.
- Season the ribs with pepper and brown in batches on all sides.
- Transfer the ribs to a platter and saute the onions and garlic in the same pot until tender but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Add the ribs back to the pot and reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer, tightly covered, turning the ribs once or twice, until the meat is almost falling off the bone, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Transfer the ribs to a serving platter and reduce the liquid in the pot until it is thick and syrupy.
- Remove and discard the ginger and star anise and spoon the sauce over the ribs.