Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
So easy to make, and something a little different to serve with salad. I cut back on the coriander only because of family dislikes and also cooked in the oven, but nxt time I am going to try these on the the B.B.Q. These would also be great made smaller for finger food. The size of your meatballs will will alter you serving size.
- 500 g ground chicken
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 125 g cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup roasted salted cashews, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup basil, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup coriander, chopped
- 1 large lemon, finely grated rind of
- plain flour, for rolling
- oil, for shallow frying
DIPPING SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped cashews, extra
- 1 bird's eye chili, sliced
- 15 basil leaves, extra
- Combine the chicken mince, onion, cream cheese, cashews, herbs and lemon rind. Roll 2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture into a ball, then flatten slightly. Toss through flour until coated, shake off excess.
- Heat the oil in a large non–stick frypan. Cook the cakes over medium heat for 6–8 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown. Drain and keep warm.
- To make dipping sauce:
- Combine vinegar, water, sugar, sweet chilli sauce, fish sauce, cashews and chilli in a saucepan and cook for 3–5 minutes until sugar is dissolved and sauce has thickened slightly. Place each chicken cake on a basil leaf and serve with dipping sauce.
- HERE IS A HANDY TIP: Use wet hands when rolling the chicken mixture to prevent sticking.
Yassss. These are great. Great flavour, cooked on the BBQ and served with tomato, cucumber and mint salad. Only change I made was to roll the cakes in dried breadcrumbs rather than flour. I wondered how the cream cheese would impact on the taste, but it was not readily apparent. Probably due to the coriander and basil flavours shining through. Made for Aussie / Kiwi Swap Jan 2013.