1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 15 mins
I had this boneless pork shoulder--it was on sale, and my husband bought a whole bunch. Not a whole lot of variety out there for braised pork shoulder recipes--I think there are about 4 recipes recycled on the whole internet, lol. I looked and didn't find any that I had all of the ingredients for, so I took some stuff out of the fridge and cupboards came up with this one. It's really easy, and delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 1/2-3 lbs boneless pork shoulder, trimmed and cut into almost bite-size cubes
- 3 bulbs shallots, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- cooked white rice, for serving with,if desired
- 1Heat oven to 275°.
- 2For the sauce--In a bowl, mix the garlic, soy sauce, wine, ginger, 5 spice powder, cayenne, apricot preserves, marmalade, hoisin and broth--set aside.
- 3Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a skillet or dutch oven with a lid, that is also oven-safe.
- 4Saute the pork until browned, then remove to a plate.
- 5Add the last tbsp of oil to the pan, and saute the shallots for about 2 minutes.
- 6Add the meat back to the pan, then stir in the sauce mixture.
- 7Bring to a simmer, cover, and place the pan in the oven.
- 8Bake for 1- 1 1/2 hours, until meat is tender and falls apart easily.
- 9Serve over white rice, if desired.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asian Style Braised Pork Shoulder
Serving Size: 1 (439 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1237.8
- Calories from Fat 741
- Total Fat 82.4 g
- Saturated Fat 25.5 g
- Cholesterol 268.7 mg
- Sodium 1992.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 29.8 g
- Protein 69.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: