Recipe by Chef at Large
Black Cod is a delicious buttery fish that bakes very well and is quite excellent and easy to do.
- 24 ounces black cod steaks (175g)
- 1⁄2 cup white miso (125ml)
- 1⁄4 cup mirin (50ml)
- 1⁄4 cup sake (50ml)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (25ml)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (25ml)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine miso, mirin, sake, soy sauce and maple syrup in a pot over low heat.
- Stir together until contents are well combined, about 5 minutes. Cool.
- Spread mixture over cod, cover and refrigerate for 24 to 48 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450F (230C).
- Remove fish from marinade and scrape off as much as possible.
- Place fish on baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes.
- Turn on broiler and broil for 2 to 3 minutes to get a nice glaze on top.
- Serve with either rice or salad.
- Note: mirin is a low alcohol, sweet Japanese cooking wine made from rice.