Recipe by jonesies
Coleslaw....with a twist! Oil and vinegar based sauce makes this version lighter. Add the taste of asparagus to the mix and you will be pleasantly surprised by the combination. Taken from BH&G.
- 1 lb asparagus
- 4 cups green cabbage, very finely shredded
- 1 cup red cabbage, very finely shredded
- 1 small carrot, very finely shredded
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, freshly snipped
- 1⁄4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons sweetened rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper, freshly ground
Directions See How It's Made
- Snap off and discard fibrous stem ends of asparagus.
- Rinse asparagus; drain.
- Bring 1 inch of water to boiling in a medium saucepan.
- Place asparagus in steamer basket; cover and steam for 4 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender.
- Drain; gently rinse with cool water.
- Combine green cabbage, red cabbage, carrot, parsley and onion in a large bowl.
- Mix sesame oil, rice vinegar and salt together in small bowl; add to cabbage mixture and toss to coat.
- Divide asparagus spears among six salad plates; top with cabbage mixture.