I had a craving for Chinese noodles, but there aren't many Chinese restaurants near us and it seems restaurants always put too much grease/oil into sitr frys. I just took the stuff I had in the frig and made up a dish for dinner. Biased on the side of more vegetables.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 -7 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 lb shrimp or 1 lb chicken, medium to small sized shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 -2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame (optional) or 1/2 teaspoon chili oil (optional)
- 3 garlic cloves or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced or 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (to taste)
- 1 head napa cabbage, medium sized and shredded
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 large carrots, julienne
- 1/4 lb sugar snap pea (broccoli, snow peas, etc..)
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped the white part and slice the green, separated
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (to taste)
- black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup mirin (to taste) or 1/4 cup white wine (to taste)
- 1 -2 teaspoon cornstarch
Optional fried shallots
- 1Cook spaghetti per instruction on package, drain and rinse lightly so noodles won't stick.
- 2Meanwhile, heat large 12" or larger non-stick skillet on medium to medium high heat. Add canola oil and sesame or chili oil, the garlic and ginger, cayenne and black pepper, saute to release fragrance about 1 minute, add onion sliced onion and the chopped white part of green onions, saute until wilted about 2 minutes, add carrots and green part of onion, saute to soften but not mushy, about 2 to 3 minutes, remove vegetables into a warm bowl (use a large bowl), leaving oil in the pan.
- 3In the same pan, add sugar snap peas or green vegy, saute until crisp cooked, about 2 to 3 minutes, remove from pan into the same bowl as the other cooked vegetables leaving whatever oil you have left in the pan.
- 4Add peppers to pan and cook until cooked but still brightly colored, then remove to bowl with other vegetables.
- 5In the same pan, cook the shrimp or chicken in single layer and flip over, about 2 minutes per side or until shrimp is opage (time depends on the size of the shrimp) and remove to bowl with vegetables.
- 6In the same pan, cook the cabbage until they are soft. Add wine and soy sauce to deglaze the plan. Add more wine if needed to deglaze pan and leave about 1/8' liquid in the bottom of the pan. Scrape the pan to make sure you are getting all the brown bits into the wine and cabbage.
- 7Put lid on pan and cook until cabbage is done - about 2-3 minutes.
- 8Add cooked noodles, heat until very warm - 2-3 minutes, then add in the other cooked ingredients. Mix and cook until warm.
- 9In small bowl, dissolve corn starch in a little warm water. Add to pan to thicken up the sauce and help it stick to the pasta. There should not be any sauce at the bottom of the pan once thickened.
- 10Turn off heat, add cilantro and mix.
- 11Serve garnished with fried shallots.
- 12Optional Fried Shallots:.
- 13Heat frying pan on medium heat. Add olive or canola oil and heat. Add shallots, make sure shallotts are spread out over the entire bottom of the pan. Stirring often. Reduce heat to medium low to low and cook shallots until brown and crispy all the while stirring to make sure a consistent carmelized color is achieved.
- 14Remove to small bowl and use as garnish.
- 15If you can multi-task then you can do all three: cook pasta, stir fry vegetables and fry shallots at the same time.
- 16Serve immediately.
- 17Plate individual servings of pasta, vegetables and shrimp then add fried shallots on top as garnish.
- 18Note: a garnish of toasted sesame seeds or crushed peanuts may go well with this dish. However, we are allergic to both so none was used.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asian Stir Fry Noodles, Vegetables and Shrimp - Low Fat
Serving Size: 1 (288 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 387.1
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 142.8 mg
- Sodium 1306.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 26.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: