Prep 35 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a quick and easy meal to do, it tastes great and is a nice light meal. Please note: I cooked this in a wok so if you are using a large frying pan, cooking times will vary as woks get very hot. I love mussels, but please make sure you do remove beards and scrub thoroughly as you will end up with a not nice fish smell in your food if you don't. I find if your mussels are very dirty with lots of barnacles on them, than you can not remove, it is often better to boil them separately and add at the end to warm. This way any grit or dirt that remains, ends up in your water not your stir-fry I have done this before, my mussels I bought yesterday were very clean so this was not necessary.
- 1 1⁄2 kg mussels
- 500 g medium green prawns (peeled and deveined, weight is with shell on)
- 1 -2 tablespoon peanut oil (I didn't measure it looked about 11/2 TBS)
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 large shallots, chopped finely
- 3 red chilies, sliced thinly (add as many or few seeds as you like, taste after each addition you can always add more but once you)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 150 ml ketjap manis, also known as kecap manis (please do not use regular soy sauce it is way to salty and ketjap manis is a sweet Indonesian soy sa)
- 1 teaspoon dried fish flakes
- 200 ml water
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 300 g bean sprouts
- 1⁄2 cup coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra coriander, roughly chopped for garnish
- 3 tablespoons parsley
- Thoroughly scrub mussels and remove beards.
- Heat oil in a wok, stir-fry shallots, garlic, ginger, chili and turmeric, until mixture is fragrant.
- Add ketjap manis, water, stock, bring to the boil.
- Add mussels and prawns, reduce heat, simmer covered, about 5 Min's or until mussels open (discard any that don't.).
- Add lime juice, sprouts and parsley, cook a couple Min's until sprouts are just tender but still have a great crunch.
- Stir in coriander.
- To Serve: Either place in large serving bowl and sprinkle with the extra coriander or divide among 4 individual serving bowls and sprinkle each with coriander.
- Don't forget to put a large bowl on the table for shells.
Delicious! Topped with fresh lemon and lime wedges.