1/9 Photos of Asian Steamed Dumpling Filling
Pot Scrubber's Note:
This a really terrific filling for those Asian steamed dumplings. The recipe was given to me by a good friend who is a chef at Benihana. You can use ground pork, ground shrimp, or ground turkey with great success. I have posted the recipe using ground pork because that is the typical mixture most people are accustomed to... but shrimp is a great indulgence and ground turkey is what I usually use and I love it.
My Private Note
big egg ...
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE MIX
- 1 lb fresh ground pork
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons carrots, grated
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger (grated with a ginger grater or lemon zester)
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce or 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 (8 ounce) package wonton wrappers (* see the note at bottom of recipe)
FOR THE DIPPING SAUCE
- 1Whisk all ingredients for the dipping sauce well and set aside.
- 2Mix all of the meat mixture ingredients together and let it marinade for an hour or so for best flavor.
- 3Place a scant tablespoon of filling in the center of a wrapper and fold and tuck. You know how it is done or look up a video tutorial on Youtube.( I really suck at folding those little time-consuming dumplings so for years I have just bought egg roll wrappers and make them like that) They aren't as pretty as the little cute parcels but it is a huge time saver for me.
- 4Steam them for 9 minutes. If you have a Chinese steamer- fine. (I don't) You can use a vegetable steamer in a large sauce pan or I use my electric wok with the steamer attachment. Spray the steamer rack with Pam or vegetable and you will have no problem with them sticking.
- 5The serving size is subjective depending on whether you use little wonton wrappers or egg roll wrappers so don't pay any attention to that -- but I had to enter something. The recipe will feed four however you decide to make them unless you are a glutton like me and then the serving size is just for one with a little bit left over for a snack the next day :-).
- 7Bon Apetit in Japanese!
Browse Our Top Asian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asian Steamed Dumpling Filling
Serving Size: 1 (279 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 540.3
- Calories from Fat 232
- Total Fat 25.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 86.9 mg
- Sodium 2650.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 28.7 g