Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
In 'Cooking from the Hip' by Cat Cora
Top Review by d33tt3gp
I made this for my teenage boys several years ago and they loved it! They are 25 and 20 now and they just said, "remember that Asian Spinach Steak Salad you made a couple times. Will you make it again"? I've seen different versions of this, but remembered it was a Cat Cora video recipe I saw when I first made it and I wanted it to be the same. Glad I found this Food.com! Thanks!
- 1⁄2 lb Baby Spinach
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar or 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 red onion, cut into 1/4-inch thick half-moons
- 1⁄2 lb grass-fed steak (sirloin, tenderloin, porterhouse, New York Strip, rib-eye)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped unsalted peanuts, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the spinach and spin dry.
- Place the spinach in a large salad bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, garlic, lime juice, brown sugar, and soy sauce; set aside.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over med-highheat.
- When the oil is hot but not smoking, add the onion and saute for 2 minutes, stirring constnatly.
- Transfer the hot onion to the salad bowl on top of the spinach.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan.
- Sear the steak until med-rare, about 3 minutes per side.
- Remove the pan from the heat, immediately transfer the steak to a cutting board, and let it rest.
- Let the skillet cool for a few minutes.
- Add the soy-lime mixture to the pan and turn the heat to med-high.
- Deglaze the pan by stirring constantly and loosening any bits of steak that cling to the bottom.
- Decrease heat to low to keep the sauce warm.
- Slice the meat as thin as possible, cutting against the grain.
- Arrange the meat slices over the onion and spinach.
- Drizzle with the warm sauce and sprinkle with the cilantro and peanuts.
- Serve immediately.