Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
In 'Cooking from the Hip' by Cat Cora
Make and share this Asian Steak and Spinach Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 lb Baby Spinach
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar or 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 red onion, cut into 1/4-inch thick half-moons
- 1⁄2 lb grass-fed steak (sirloin, tenderloin, porterhouse, New York Strip, rib-eye)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped unsalted peanuts, for garnish
- Wash the spinach and spin dry.
- Place the spinach in a large salad bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, garlic, lime juice, brown sugar, and soy sauce; set aside.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over med-highheat.
- When the oil is hot but not smoking, add the onion and saute for 2 minutes, stirring constnatly.
- Transfer the hot onion to the salad bowl on top of the spinach.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan.
- Sear the steak until med-rare, about 3 minutes per side.
- Remove the pan from the heat, immediately transfer the steak to a cutting board, and let it rest.
- Let the skillet cool for a few minutes.
- Add the soy-lime mixture to the pan and turn the heat to med-high.
- Deglaze the pan by stirring constantly and loosening any bits of steak that cling to the bottom.
- Decrease heat to low to keep the sauce warm.
- Slice the meat as thin as possible, cutting against the grain.
- Arrange the meat slices over the onion and spinach.
- Drizzle with the warm sauce and sprinkle with the cilantro and peanuts.
- Serve immediately.