Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe came from a Moosewood recipe book. This flavored broth needs only some tender young bok choy or snow peas, sliced seasoned tofu, and a splash of soy sauce to become a delightful soothing, and light soup.
- 2365.9 ml water
- 2 leeks or 2 large onions or 2 bunch scallions, chopped
- 4-5 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 stalk celery & leaves, chopped
- 10 clove garlic, unpeeled and smashed
- 1.23 ml whole black peppercorns or 1.23 ml szechuan peppercorns
- 6 whole cloves
- 3 inch fresh gingerroot, sliced (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- 4-5 dried shiitake mushrooms (optional)
- 2 large parsley sprigs
- 2.46 ml salt
- Combine all the ingredients in a large soup pot, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Strain the stock and use it right away, or refrigerate in a covered container for up to 4 days, or freeze it for up to 6 months.
Simple and tasty. I served it right away with some chopped bok choy and udon noodles. Thanks for sharing!
This broth was delicious. It had so many delicate flavors and lots of umami. I cooked it for 2 hours and then added some shrimp and chicken wontons and an extra pinch of salt. I highly recommend this broth.