Recipe by Debbie R.
This is a great change from normal Thanksgiving turkey. The outside skin isn't meant for eating. You need to use a combo of hard and softwood; e.g., hickory plus wild grape or applewood. You need to be conversant with smoker techniques.
- 1 (13 -16 lb) turkey
- 1⁄4 cup ground coffee
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder (high quality, like Ghiradelli)
- 10 star anise
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse bird inside and out. Lightly pat dry the outside.
- Rub the chocolate and coffee powder all over the skin. Place two star anise inside the cavity and divide the rest among the breast portions and the legs/thighs. Wrap the legs and wings with foil.
- Smoke at 225 degree for 5 - 6 hours or until the bird reaches an internal temp of 180 degrees. Follow your smoker's directions.
- Let rest for 15 minutes. Do not eat the skin. It will be extremely blacked and was there for flavoring the meat, not ingestion itself.