Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is like cole slaw, but it has some Asian flavors, and it also has no mayo, so it is ok on a buffet for a while.
For the Salad
- 1 small green cabbage, shredded
- 1⁄2 small red cabbage, shredded
- 1 green pepper, julienned
- 5 -8 green onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, sliced
- 1 cup chow mein noodles
- 1⁄2 cup parsley or 1⁄2 cup cilantro
For the Dressing
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated finely
- 1⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄3 cup salad oil (not olive oil)
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili-sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Combine the salad ingredients (except the chow mein noodles) in a very large bowl, as you will have to toss them with the dressing. I usually mix the dressing ingredients in a microwave safe bowl- Melting the peanut butter for about 15 seconds, then adding all the other ingredients, whisking thoroughly. Toss salad and dressing, taste for seasoning- it may need more salt, sugar, etc -- depending on your tastes. .
- If you refrigerate for a few hours, the flavors will combine, and as there is no mayonnaise, it is just fine for a while in a buffet. .