Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This goes with Tempura Crab and Crab Dipping Sauce. I often omit the Asian pear and I use one type of cabbage. Cook time is chill time.
- 1⁄3 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic and red chile paste
- 4 cups finely shredded napa cabbage
- 2 cups finely shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Asian pear, halved, cored, and cut into julienne strips
- Whisk together rice vinegar and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Add napa cabbage and next 4 ingredients; toss to mix.
- Cover and refrigerate 2 hours to soften cabbage. Just before serving, stir in pear strips.
I liked many things about this salad starting with the inclusion of chile paste, ginger, & garlic in the dressing. The salad is colorful & the hardest part is chopping, dicing, & slicing. I do think the dressing, even with all of the great ingredients, is missing that special spark & needs some tiny something to make it stellar. Thank you for sharing the recipe! Made for ZWT6~ Asia.
I scaled this back for 2 cups as it was only the DM and I and it was more than enough for us. i didn't have use the cilantro/coriander to us as we don't care for it and couldn't get an asian pear and used a firm bartlett and mixed some fresh minced garlic and chilli together for the paste. I served it with a grilled pork chop. Thank you Sarah Beth131, made for Everyday A Holiday.