Recipe by Outta Here
Tasty, tender meat in Asian sauce. I suppose stew meat could be used if short ribs are not available.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef short ribs, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry sherry
- 1⁄4 cup plum sauce or 1⁄4 cup plum jam
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 3 cups cooked rice (hot)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large Dutch oven heat 1 tbls. of the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic; sauté until soft, about 10 minutes. Remove the onions from the pan and heat the remaining oil. Brown the beef in 2 batches; remove from pan.
- Put the onions back into pan and add tomatoes, sherry, plum and hoisin sauces, the salt, pepper, and hot pepper flakes. Simmer the sauce for 10 minutes. Add the beef, cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Uncover and continue cooking 30 minutes.
- While short ribs are cooking, prepare the carrots. Bring a pan of water to boil, add the carrots and cook 5 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking.
- Add the carrots to the meat and continue to cook 15 minutes. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve meat and sauce over the hot rice.