Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Packed with ginger, garlic and green onions and topped with Sargento Deli Style Sliced Provolone Cheese, these salmon burgers are light and juicy and look gorgeous on a toasted bun. Pair with juicy summer fruits like mango and pineapple for a fresh and healthy meal, and don't forget the cheese. "Cheese is the grill accessory that never goes out of style," says Diane Morgan, author of Dressed to Grill, Savvy Recipes for Girls Who Play with Fire and Salmon. "You can add it to almost anything to enhance the taste of your meal. Natural cheeses, in particular, give the best flavor."
- 1 lb salmon fillet, skin and pin bones removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon peeled minced fresh ginger
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 green onions, including 2 inches of green tops, very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup cracker meal
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 slices sargento deli style sliced provolone cheese
- 4 hamburger buns with sesame seeds, split and toasted
- lettuce leaves or baby spinach leaves
green onion and soy sauce mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 green onion, including green tops, very thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- For salmon burgers, in a food processor fitted with the metal blade, pulse the salmon until coarsely ground, scraping down the sides of the work bowl once or twice. (Be careful; it's easy to go from chopped to a mashed paste in seconds!) Transfer the salmon to a medium bowl. Add the ginger, garlic, green onions, cilantro, salt, lemon juice and soy sauce. Using a rubber spatula, mix to combine. Mix in the cracker meal; add the eggs. Stir to combine.
- Dividing the salmon mixture evenly, form into 4 1-inch-thick patties. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes before cooking. (The patties can be prepared up to 8 hours ahead. Transfer to a covered container and refrigerate.).
- In a large, heavy skillet, preferably cast-iron, heat the oil over medium-high heat and swirl to coat the pan. (You can also use a grill pan.) Add the salmon patties and cook until golden brown on one side, about 3 minutes. Turn and cook until opaque throughout and golden brown on the other side, about 3 minutes longer. Top each burger with a slice of cheese. Serve the salmon burgers on the toasted buns with the lettuce and Green Onion and Soy Sauce Mayonnaise.
- For the Green Onion and Soy Sauce Mayonnaise, in a small bowl mix the mayonnaise, green onion, lemon juice and soy sauce until well blended. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- Makes about 2/3 cup.
- Source: Recipe courtesy of Diane Morgan.
My husband and I really enjoyed these! I did make a couple of small changes. I cooked the salmon in a 325 degree oven for about 20 minutes and then flaked it with a fork and cooled it before mixing it with the other ingredients. I have a tendancy to sometimes burn things if I have to cook them in a pan for too long so I just wanted to make sure that they were fully cooked. I also added one minced shallot to the ingredient mixture, and then patted the patties with cracker crumbs on the outside once I had the burgers formed. I didn't use the mayo either because I didn't have enough soy sauce. We served them on toased onion buns with lettuce, tomato, red onion, mayo, and dijon mustard. Absolutely terrific, and really quite easy especially if you make the burgers ahead and then do all of your dishes and just fry them up at supper time. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!
Very good lunch sandwich! I really enjoyed these as a change from my normal Salmon burgers. Made exactly as directed and would not change a thing! Thank you for posting. Pac-Fall07